Grants & Scholarships
Third Call PhD Scholarship 2020
The Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) is an African-led initiative with the goal of strengthening skills in the Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology to further socio-economic transformation in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is the flagship program of PASET. RSIF focuses on transformative technologies that have a far-reaching positive impact on society. It is funded by contributions from African governments, the World Bank and the Government of Korea and facilitated by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi, Kenya.
RSIF aims to train quality PhD students and post-doctoral researchers at selected African universities (‘African Host Universities’) to address the human resource gap of highly qualified specialists in the fields of applied sciences, engineering, and technology (ASET) and to contribute to improving research and innovation capacities in those fields in SSA. RSIF also supports the strengthening of research and innovation ecosystems at the African Host Universities by providing funding through competitive
RSIF supports training, research and innovation in five PASET Priority Thematic Areas: (1) ICT including
big data and artificial intelligence, (2) Food security and agri-business, (3) Minerals, mining and materials engineering, (4) Energy including renewables and (5) Climate change.
The specific objectives of RSIF are to:
- Create a stock of highly skilled scientists, professionals and innovators in ASET areas.
- Identify and nurture young talented Africans who wish to further their studies in ASET fields where expertise is needed most.
- Address imbalances in the number of women and disadvantaged groups in ASET fields in Africa.
- Build African university capacity to provide relevant ASET training and to ensure continued investment in scaling up the ASET education and workforce.
About the PASET-RSIF PhD Scholarship Program
• RSIF PhD Scholarships are open to candidates interested in receiving international-quality PhD
Applications are accepted through the online application platform: https://www.rsifpaset.org/calls/apply/. Applications submitted by email or in hardcopy will not be accepted.
15th June 2020 at 5:00 pm (East Africa Time; UTC+3)
Please address any questions to:
RSIF-Regional Coordination Unit (RCU)
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe)
Frequently Asked Questions