The PASET Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is seeking international experts to review RSIF applications for African Host Universities, PhD scholarships, Research Grants & Innovation Grants
The Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) is an Africa led initiative to address fundamental gaps in skills and knowledge necessary for long-term, sustained economic growth in sub-Saharan Africa. PASET established a Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) to contribute towards the training of a critical mass of PhD and post-doctoral candidates, and support research and innovation in the following priority thematic areas: ICTs including big data; food security and agribusiness; minerals, mining and materials engineering; energy including renewables; and climate change.
In 2018, the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) was competitively selected by the World Bank and PASET to house the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU) for the PASET-RSIF. The overall goal of RSIF is to strengthen Africa’s institutional capacity for quality and sustainable doctoral training, research and innovation in transformative technologies in SSA. The RCU is developing a roster of international experts to provide evaluation and review of RSIF applications for African Host Universities, PhD scholarships, Research Grants & Innovation Grants. The RCU is seeking reviewers who are subject matter experts in at least one of the following priority thematic areas: ICTs including big data and artificial intelligence; food security and agribusiness; climate change; minerals, mining and materials engineering and energy. Applications are invited from experienced researchers with a track record of peer review of scientific publications, grant applications, higher education and involvement in scientific innovation and enterprise.
Expert reviewers will evaluate applications submitted to the RCU for the following four windows:
- African Host Universities to host PhD Scholarships, Research and Innovation grants in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology
- Scholarships for PhD training to be awarded to nationals of any SSA country interested in pursuing a PhD degree in one of the five thematic areas. Priority will be given to young faculty without PhDs and women.
- Innovation grants to be awarded to RSIF scholars and faculty to support innovations and the uptake of research into practical implementation through collaborations with industry.
- Research grants to be awarded to faculty engaged in PhD training in host universities in SSA and to RSIF graduates who obtain a post-doctoral or permanent position in an academic institution or research centre in SSA.
Scope of Engagement
- To conduct remote desk review of individual applications submitted to the RCU for the following; (i) African Host Universities, (ii) PhD scholarships, (ii) Research Grants and, (iv) Innovation Grants;
- To complete written evaluations of applications based on selection criteria within a stipulated time and provide recommendations in collaboration with team of thematic experts;
- To participate in remote/physical meetings to deliberate applications alongside thematic area experts where necessary.
- Applicants should be subject matter experts in at least one of the five themes targeted by the RSIF calls. This expertise should be evidenced by applicant’s publications (in refereed journals, books, conference papers) as well as research excellence (projects, technologies and other inventions).
- Applicants should be PhD holders from recognized universities.
- Applicants interested in reviewing proposals for the innovation grants should exemplify experience in areas of enterprise development, intellectual property, impact investments and innovation.
- Applicants should have a record of peer review of scientific publications, grant proposals and graduate students’ supervision.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their CV using this link: http://cbid.icipe.org/apps/cbid/forms/rsif_reviewers_apply_2019.php
All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have any questions, please email RSIF Regional Coordination Unit: email@example.com
For more information on PASET-RSIF visit: https://www.rsif-paset.org/